The 2014 New York Colon Cancer Challenge
5K Colon Run ~ Remembrance & Prevention Walk ~ Local Challenge
When: Sunday, March 23, 2014, 10:00 AM
Location: Citi Field Use MTA Trip Planner to plan your trip
Registration deadline: March 14th, 2014
2014 marks the beginning of another successsful decade of our signature event - the Colon Cancer Challenge. Across the United States, teams of families, friends, co-workers and local and national corporations will come together to raise awareness of colorectal cancer, support those battling the disease and raise funds for the Colon Cancer Challenge Foundation's strategic initiatives of Public Awareness, Prevention, Screening and Research.
Here in New York City we are celebrating a new decade by moving to a new venue - Citi Field.
- Take on the Challenge of the 5K unscored run that loops around Citi Field. Finishers will complete the course in front of the Jackie Robinson Rotunda.
- This year's Remembrance & Prevention Walk will take place on the Citi Field Warning Track.
- Survivors will be invited to celebrate their victory over colorectal cancer during a special Survivors Victory Lap.
- Teams will also be invited to walk on the Citi Field Warning Track in memory of loved ones they have lost and/or in honor of those still fighting.
- Partipants will have use of Citi Field FanFest, which features a miniature replica playing field, batting cages, speed-pitch dunk tank and video games.
- Survivors and Sponsors will have access to a heated V.I.P. room and refreshments.
- Participants will have access to Sponsor and Exhibitor booths featuring giveaways.
- If you can't join us in Citi Field on March 23rd consider hosting your own Local Challenge. You can create your own Challenge, start a team, host an event, even sleep in - all in support of our mission of eradicating colorectal cancer.
WHY TAKE THE CHALLENGE?
While we have made great progress in reducing incidence and death rates of those 50 or older over the last decade through the prevention and early detection of colorectal cancer through screening – the simple fact is colorectal cancer is still the third most commonly diagnosed cancer and the third leading cause of cancer death. And incidence rates and death of those under 50 have increased at an alarming rate each year.
In 2013 an estimated 142,820 people were diagnosed with colorectal cancer and nearly 50,830 people died of the disease here in the US. We lose 5 of our friends, family members, co-workers, classmates or neighbors every hour.
WHERE DO THE FUNDS RAISED GO?
Every participant in the Colon Cancer Challenge is encouraged to celebrate our 11th Anniversary by raising $100 or more to help fight colorectal cancer.
Funds raised by teams and individuals helps provide:
- Free educational materials and events in communities around the country
- A national tour of our educational inflatable colon – Rollin’ Colon
- Prevention programs in and around New York City including colonoscopy screening efforts for the uninsured and underserved
- Funding to support colorectal research at leading institutions
- Awards to young colorectal cancer investigators presenting at the world’s premier colorectal cancer societies
The Colon Cancer Challenge offers survivors, family and friends of those affected by colorectal cancer a unique opportunity to raise public awareness and contribute to the fight against this preventable, yet often fatal disease.
Choose the Remembrance & Prevention Walk, the 5K Run, or The Local Challenge. No matter what distance you cover, you’ll make up ground in the race to prevent colorectal cancer.
CHECK OUT OUR 10th ANNIVERSARY VIDEO! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UiX1n51Ec
INTERESTED IN BECOMING A SPONSOR? Please CONTACT US