The 2017 New York Colon Cancer Challenge
Certified, Timed 5K ~ Remembrance & Prevention Walk ~ Kid's Fun Run ~ Local Challenge
2017 marks the fourteenth year of our signature event - the Colon Cancer Challenge. Across the United States, teams of families, friends, co-workers and local and national corporations will come together to raise awareness of colorectal cancer, support those battling the disease and raise funds for the Colon Cancer Challenge Foundation's strategic initiatives of Public Awareness, Prevention, Screening, and Research.
- This year's Remembrance & Prevention Walk and 5K Certified Timed Run will take place on the scenic Randall's Island.
- We are also excited to host the 2nd
Annual Kid's Fun Run to the event. Kids 12 and under are welcome to
participate. All finishers will receive a Finishers Medal.
- Survivors will be invited to celebrate their victory over colorectal cancer during a special Survivors Victory Lap on the Icahn Stadium track.
- Survivors and Sponsors will have access to a V.I.P. Tent and refreshments.
- Participants will have access to Sponsor and Exhibitor booths featuring giveaways.
WHY TAKE THE CHALLENGE?
While we have made great progress in reducing incidence and death rates of those 50 or older over the last decade through the prevention and early detection of colorectal cancer through screening – the simple fact is colorectal cancer is still the third most commonly diagnosed cancer and the third leading cause of cancer death. And incidence rates and death of those under 50 have increased at an alarming rate each year.
In 2013 an estimated 142,820 people were diagnosed with colorectal cancer and nearly 50,830 people died of the disease here in the US. We lose 5 of our friends, family members, co-workers, classmates or neighbors every hour.
WHERE DO THE FUNDS RAISED GO?
Funds raised by teams and individuals helps provide:
- Free educational materials and events in communities around the country
- A national tour of our educational inflatable colon – Rollin’ Colon
- Prevention programs in and around New York City including colonoscopy screening efforts for the uninsured and underserved
- Funding to support colorectal research at leading institutions
- Awards to young colorectal cancer investigators presenting at the world’s premier colorectal cancer societies
- Our efforts focused on Early Age Onsest CRC including the 3rd Annual EAO CRC Symposium to be held on March 12, 2017
The Colon Cancer Challenge offers survivors, family and friends of those affected by colorectal cancer a unique opportunity to raise public awareness and contribute to the fight against this preventable, yet often fatal disease.
Choose the Remembrance & Prevention Walk, the 5K Run, or the kids fun run - No matter what distance you cover, you’ll make up ground in the race to prevent colorectal cancer.