The 2015 New York Colon Cancer Challenge
5K ~ 1.7 Mile Remembrance & Prevention Walk ~ Local Challenge
FEATURING "HEALTHY HUBS"
When: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 10:00 AM
Location: Citi Field Use MTA Trip Planner to plan your trip
Registration deadline: FRIDAY, March 13, 2015 11:59 PM
- Event Info
- Schedule of Events & Map
- Event FAQ
- Fundraising Tool Kit
- My Local Challenge FAQ
- I Want to Volunteer
2015 marks the 12th year of our signature event - the Colon Cancer Challenge. Across the United States, teams of families, friends, co-workers and local and national corporations will come together to raise awareness of colorectal cancer, support those battling the disease and raise funds for the Colon Cancer Challenge Foundation's strategic initiatives of Public Awareness, Prevention, Screening and Research.
To celebrate our second year at Citi Field we have improved the 5K course layout, brought back the 1.7 Mile Remebrance & Prevention Walk and partnered with New York Sports Club to add a new dimension to the Wellness Festival called "Healthy Hubs."
- NEW! The weekend's festivities will begin with the Nation's First Ever Summit focused on Early Age Onset of Colorectal Cancer (EAO-CRC). Including a President's Reception from 5 PM - 6PM. The Summit is co-hosted by Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and located at Rockefeller Laboratories - 430 E. 67th St., New York, NY.
- Take on the Challenge of the 5K unscored run that loops around Citi Field. NEW! Finishers will complete the last leg of the course ON the Citi Field Warning Track.
- NEW! This year's Remembrance & Prevention Walk will take place outside looping around Citi Field. Participants will complete the last leg of the 1.7 Mile course inside the Stadium ON the Citi Field Warning Track.
- NEW! This year's Wellness Festival will feature NYSC Healthy Hubs - family friendly fitness challenges designed to keep you moving. Includes the NYSC UXF Circuit: The Ultimate Fitness Challenge.
- Survivors will be recognized on the Main Stage during a special ceremony. And as always Survivors and their families can take advantage of the SURVIVOR Lounge - located on the Concourse Level in the Met's Cafe - a heated V.I.P. area with refreshments and gifts.
- Partipants will have use of Citi Field FanFest, which features a miniature replica playing field, batting cages, speed-pitch dunk tank and video games.
- Participants will have access to Sponsor and Exhibitor booths featuring giveaways
- NEW! Everyone is invited to join us for the Challenge "After Party" for a free drink (over 21) and hot dog (under 21) - hosted by McFadden's - located inside the stadium. DOWNLOAD INIVITATION To make reservations please contact McFadden's directly at (615)714-2373 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you can't join us in Citi Field on March 22nd consider hosting your own Local Challenge. You can create your own Challenge, start a team, host an event, even sleep in - all in support of our mission of eradicating colorectal cancer.
WHY TAKE THE CHALLENGE?
While we have made great progress in reducing incidence and death rates of those 50 or older over the last decade through the prevention and early detection of colorectal cancer through screening – the simple fact is colorectal cancer is still the third most commonly diagnosed cancer and the third leading cause of cancer death. And incidence rates and death of those under 50 have increased at an alarming rate each year.
In 2013 an estimated 142,820 people were diagnosed with colorectal cancer and nearly 50,830 people died of the disease here in the US. We lose 5 of our friends, family members, co-workers, classmates or neighbors every hour.
WHERE DO THE FUNDS RAISED GO?
Every participant in the Colon Cancer Challenge is encouraged to celebrate our 12th Anniversary by raising $100 or more to help fight colorectal cancer.
Funds raised by teams and individuals helps provide:
- Free educational materials and events in communities around the country
- A national tour of our educational inflatable colon – Rollin’ Colon
- Prevention programs in and around New York City including colonoscopy screening efforts for the uninsured and underserved
- Funding to support cutting edge colorectal cancer research at leading institutions
- Awards to young colorectal cancer investigators presenting at the world’s premier colorectal cancer societies
The Colon Cancer Challenge offers survivors, family and friends of those affected by colorectal cancer a unique opportunity to raise public awareness and contribute to the fight against this preventable, yet often fatal disease.
Choose the 1.7 Mile Remembrance & Prevention Walk, the 5K Challenge, or The Local Challenge. No matter what distance you cover, you’ll make up ground in the race to prevent colorectal cancer.
CHECK OUT OUR 10th ANNIVERSARY VIDEO! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UiX1n51Ec